Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old recipe of my Mom's. It's VERY delicious!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups thinly sliced tart apples (I use Granny Smith, about 5 medium)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 melted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Beat eggs with a mixer until thick and light.
- Combine sugar and oil, pour into eggs with mixer on medium speed.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, soda and salt.
- Add to egg mixture with vanilla.
- Beat to mix.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spread apples in a butter 13"x9"x2" pan.
- Pour batter over apples, spreading to cover.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Spread with cream cheese icing.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Cream Cheese Icing: Beat softened cream cheese until fluffy.
- Beat in melted butter, then powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Thanks so much for posting this. I had the recipe and had lost it years ago. I think it is the best apple cake ever and my family tends to agree with me. Thanks again!
An outstanding moist and dense cake. I think this cake is best when made a day ahead and refrigerated overnight.
Quite a nice cake, especially loved the frosting ~ great for a special occassion.