Mom's Buttery Apple Cake
photo by Karen Elizabeth
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced thinly (or Granny Smith)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a 9” round baking dish with butter.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter. Add the apples and fry until tender, 5-10 minutes, over medium to medium-high heat, moving the apples around to be sure they are all coated in the butter and watching them so that they do not burn.
- While apples are frying, in a bowl stir together flour, salt and baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, vanilla extract and lemon zest until creamy and well mixed.
- Stir apples with the melted butter into egg and sugar mixture and mix quickly so that the hot butter does not scramble the eggs.
- Once apples are covered, add the flour mixture and mix to coat apples.
- Spoon into 9" round buttered baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake forms a brown crust on top.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert, then flip back over, apple-side-up, and let cool completely before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Boy was this delicious! So easy to make, and we loved every bite. The spice mix was particularly delicious. I used gluten free cake flour mix (1 part brown rice flour, 1 part millet flour, 1 part potato starch) and reduced the sugar to 2/3 cup because we are used to very low sweetness LOL It was absolutely fantastic, and I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing this gem!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Family Picks (Scandinavia) for The Apron String Travelers
OMG! This is soo good! I do not like fruit that has been cooked such as pie or cobbler but this was amazing. I think I liked this because it is cake based. This is a easy, quick dessert if you decide to have guests over at the last minute. Serve it with fresh whip cream and your guests will go home with fond memories! Made for ZWT9 for the Gourmet Goddesses July 2013.
First I must say, I am not much of a baker, so I was a bit worried about this recipe. But after reading all the wonderful reviews and seeing the yummy pictures, I decided to make this cake for our Thanksgiving dessert table (along with another of Pammy's delicious desserts). I'm certainly glad I did. I'm happy this was a cake, and not a pie (I cannot make pie crusts). This was the 2nd of our desserts to go (right behind Pammy's Recipe #490512, which were gone before dinner). The pumpkin pie and brownies that others had brought over were hardly touched! I will definitely be making this again. Made in memory of my dear friend. You are truly missed, Pammy.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/chelsea-1-1.jpg?t=1358729305 alt=width=320 height=234 /><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/th_2934e8e56debfb521317951198.jpg alt=width=160 height=160 /><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/th_HPIM0151.jpg alt=width=160 height=90 /> alt= />I am an avid cook and baker. I have a Farmers Market stand where I sell breads and sweets. I am really enjouing my stand, as I get to make all kinds of breads, although the sweets are the big attraction! I am married to theworlds most wonderful man, have an aan amazingly brilliant child (of course I would say that!). In short, I am a verry happy, cheerful woman. Baking bread is my passion, but I love to cook anything. </p> <p>I have two great dogs, Jack and Lucy, a black lab and a boxer/pitbull mix, respectively.</p> <p>My rating system;</p> <p>5 stars= great, had fun making it and will make again</p> <p>4= made some changes as the recipe needed tweaking</p> <p>3= probably will not make again</p> <p>I will not post a 2 or 1 star rating, I'd rather post the review with no stars and share some possible fixes:)</p>