Recipe by Kelly M.
A different side dish to go with your Asian meal. These potatoes are spiced with wasabi horseradish. And yes, you will definitely be able to taste it, so you may want to add the wasabi little by little to your taste.
Top Review by BonnieZ
The addition of the wasabi to these mashed potatoes was really great and deliciously different. For dietary reasons I cut back on the salt, used Smart Balance spread instead of butter and skim milk, all with good success. Thank you Kelly M. for sharing the recipe.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into approximately 2-inch chunks.
- Place in pot with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl combine the wasabl powder and the water to make a paste and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and immediately return them to the same pot.
- While the potatoes are still hot add the butter and mash until completely smooth.
- Add the cream and mash again until well combined and creamy.
- Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the wasabi paste and mash once more, until well combined.
- As mentioned above, these may be potent for some, so you may want to add the wasabi a little at a time, tasting as you go (It's perfect for me with the full amount).
- If you want creamier potatoes, add more cream by the teaspoon until desired consistency.
- Serve hot.