A new and delicious twist on an old favorite. I found this recipe in Bon Appetite, Jan 2007.
Make and share this Warm Doughnuts a La Mode With Bananas and Spiced Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cinnamon doughnuts or 2 crumb doughnuts or 2 glazed doughnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons golden brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 small ripe bananas, peeled, cut on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- vanilla ice cream
- toasted pecans
- Preheat broiler.
- Place the doughnuts on small baking sheet; then set aside.
- To make the caramel sauce: stir the butter and brown sugar in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in lemon juice and spices, then rum; stir to blend.
- Cool caramel sauce 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, broil the doughnuts just until hot and bubbly, watching closely to avoid burning, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the doughnuts to 2 dessert sized plates.
- Gently toss bananas with caramel sauce in skillet, to coat.
- Top doughnuts with a scoop of ice cream, flattening slightly in center.
- Spoon bananas and caramel sauce over.
- Sprinkle with nuts and serve.