Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I have tinkered with this, adding a little spicier pepper, but all love it, and it's a no brainer to make because you don't have to brown the meat. Got the basics from the "Best of the Best of Great Plains" cookbook.
- 3 lbs lean beef, cut in cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, cut in rounds
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed (I leave skins on)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tapioca
- 2 cups tomato juice (I use V-8)
- 1⁄2 head chopped cabbage, if you like it
- Throw this all together in a large dutch oven and cook, covered in slow oven, 250, for 5 hours.
A great beef stew! I can't find tapioca in Japan so I finished the stew off with a beurre manier to thicken it slightly. I made a few changes to suit my tastes - I added a tablespoon of worschestershire sauce and a sprig of fresh thyme during cooking. I served this with homemade garlic croutons. Fantastic!