Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This looks a bit lengthy but its really not that complicated. This may be one of the greatest things I have ever cooked up. This recipe comes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Appetite for Reduction - 125+ fast & filling low-fat vegan recipes. She describes it perfectly: "Silky rice noodles, cool cucumbers, and refreshing mint are spiced up with chili garlic sauce". Serve with extra lime wedges & more chili garlic sauce.
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (or liquid sweetner of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 depending on how juicey your limes are)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) packagethin rice noodles
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced in thin half moons
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces string beans, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced mint leaf
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- Put water onto boil for the noodles.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together and stir vigorously, set aside.
- Slice the tofu into 8 equal pieces widthwise then slice those rectangles corner to corner to form long triangles. Place in a single layer on a large plate and pour 6 tbsp of the dressing over top along with the soy sauce. Let marinate while you prepare everything else.
- Your water should be boiling so add the noodles and cook accordingly to the package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking prep all the veggies if that still needs to be done.
- The noodles should be ready so drain them and run under cold water for about a minute to cool them down. Add all the veggies, greens, and mint to the noodles, combining well (use your hands if need be) and set aside.
- Combine the gremolata ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat a cast iron grill or skillet over medium high heat, spray with nonstick cooking spray and grill the tofu on each side for about 4 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add the excess marinade to the noodles.
- Assembly: Scoop the noodles into 6 bowls, add 2-3 pieces of tofu on the side of each bowl and sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve with extra lime wedges and extra chili garlic sauce.
Five stars - even DH, who's very picky with tofu, loved this. I pan fried the tofu but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Will make it again! Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game.
Great dish! Much like you would get in a restaurant. I tweeked this a little. We only have silken tofu at home, so skipped the grilling and just added the liquids as the sauce. I used broth instead of water since I had some in the frig, and did not add any sweetener. I also used cooked carrots and broccoli instead of the raw vegetables (except the cucumbers - which really make this dish!). The peanuts were perfect with it too. Wonderful flavor! Served 3 as an entree.