Recipe by Aroostook
Simply the best sausage recipe we have tried. Great to make and freeze.
Top Review by SLS
After trying about 8 different recipe's, this was the best. I did change the meat to three pounds ground venison and 1 pound ground beef suet. The Spice mix is excellent. In one batch I added a ground hot pepper, and in one batch I used beer instead of milk. All were excellent.
- 2 lbs ground deer meat (ground)
- 2 lbs pork butt (ground)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- casing, soaked in water for two hours and rinsed thoroughly (place casing end over tap and letting water run through)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients thoroughly and place meat mixture into food grinder gradually (This is better if you have two people).
- Place casing end over stuffing tube and hold.
- Turn grinder on and when casing starts to fill with air, stop machine and squeeze air out.
- Tie end off.
- Push meat thru steadily, filling casing.
- Let sausage coil as you fill.
- Gently pinch casing and twist 3-4 times.
- Grill or simmer 20-30 minutes until well done.