Recipe by Sharon123
A recipe gotten from the Micheff Sisters “Father’s Day Special" on 3ABN.They say,"These patties are not only good in a sandwich, but they are great for an entrée too. I like to serve them with mashed potatoes and gravy. They are also nice to take on a picnic or put in your lunch, as they taste good hot or cold. They also freeze quite well." For a demonstration on how to make these go here: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=247514
Top Review by holagurl4sure
I just made these yesterday and they came out amazing. I doubled the recipe because I grated to much carrots. I only made a couple changes. I added one block of firm tofu and one box of firm silken tofu. I also added homemade vegan chic'n style seasoning. I love this recipe and I'm going to make it for mother's day. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated zucchini or 1⁄4 cup summer squash
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package firm tofu or 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose vegetable seasoning (VegeSal is good)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- breadcrumbs, for coating the patties
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, mix the onion, carrot, celery and zucchini with the 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Sauté over medium heat until onion is clear. Remove from heat and add the brown rice, oats and seasonings. Mix well and add the tofu, With a fork, mash the tofu into fine pieces and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine all the liquid ingredients and stir to mix. Pour over the rice mixture and stir until moistened and evenly mixed. Shape into 8 evenly-sized patties approximately 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter. Dredge each patty with bread crumbs, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place the patties on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, then spray the tops of each patty.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Turn the patties over, spray the tops with the cooking spray and bake another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with buns or by themselves with mashed potatoes and gravy. Enjoy!