1/1 Photo of Veggie Fried Rice (Vegan)
This fits the bill when I'm craving Chinese take-out minus the MSG. The TVP makes a great substitute for egg and boosts the protein content without adding cholesterol. This is inspired by a recipe I found here: http://ericglover.com/Vegetarian_Vegan_Fried_Rice_Recipe.html. Prep time is for cooking rice while chopping veggies. Serves about 4 as an entree or 6 as a side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml cooked brown rice
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 8 button mushrooms, chopped
- 118.29 ml textured vegetable protein (dry)
- 118.29 ml water
- 44.37 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 73.94 ml extra virgin olive oil or 73.94 ml canola oil
- 2.46 ml sage (fresh or dried)
- 2.46 ml fresh thyme
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 0.59 ml cayenne (optional)
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml ginger powder
- 236.59 ml edamame (frozen, shelled) or 236.59 ml frozen peas
- 1Be sure that the rice is cooked and the veggies are chopped before you begin.
- 2Mix TVP, water, sage, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Set aside for at least 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- 3Heat 4 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in wok or very large skillet. Add garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Sautee for a couple of minutes, then add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and cook a couple more minutes until onion starts to turn translucent. Do not cook the vegetables quite all the way at this point.
- 4Stir in TVP, then move vegetables to the perimeter of the wok. Add rice to center of wok, then stir in remaining oil and soy sauce (1 tablespoon each). Add the remaining spices. Fry the rice, turning occasionally with a rubber spatula, taking care not to burn it or the veggies. You can add a little water if necessary.
- 5Stir in edamame or peas. Turn off the heat and stir until the edamame is heated.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Fried Rice (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.5
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 308.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein