Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great flavourfull mix.
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup squash, cubed (I used acorn)
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced with top leaves
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cubed (granny smith works well)
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth (low sodium)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325f degrees.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients; mix well. Pour into a veggie sprayed casserole. Cover and bake in preheated 325f degree oven for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Remove lid for the last 10 or 15 minutes.
We really like the squash and onions. The carrots and celery were okay. The apples were cooked away, but that's probably where a lot of the liquid came from. The cabbage added some bite. We were looking for a way to pack a lot of veggies, and this did it, it just didn't wow us. Chopping all of the veggies (and peeling the squash!) was time consuming, but this was very simple recipe.
I was worried my husband would not like it because there is no meat and only vegetables. Well, he loved it and so did I. This dish has wonderful flavors. We served it over top of rice, yum!
I love vegetable casseroles and this one turned out very well. My kids usually squawk about having cabbage but they didn't complain. The apple blended in well with the other vegetables. Thanks and will make this one again. Made and reviewed for the Australian/New Zealand recipe swap.