This meatloaf is as good or better than the "animal protein" version, but with cholesterol levels as they are this vegetarian version is good tasting and good for you. I really enjoyed this as a meatloaf sandwich. This is a variation of a vegan recipe I found in a vegetarian magazine.
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, crushed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces firm tofu
- 8 ounces fat free feta cheese, crumbles
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, more
- ketchup, for topping
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Grind walnuts to powder and set aside.
- Sauté celery, onion, green onion and garlic over medium heat until tender about 4 minutes.
- Remove veggies from heat and let cool while you do the following steps.
- Mash tofu in a bowl and stir in walnuts, feta, oats, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, parsley, and poultry seasoning.
- Once mixed stir in veggies.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat 9X5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Add mixture and pack in tightly.
- Top with a thin coat of ketchup.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
I don't like to mess with anyone's recipe, especially when I am making it for the first time. However, I thought I had feta in the fridge, but I didn't. Instead, I small cubed 8 ounces of mozzarella. I did everything else exactly as stated and it came out really good! In fact, my wife and I think it's the best vegetarian meatloaf we ever had! The consistency came out very close to actual "carnivore" meat loaf. The blend of the flavors of the ketchup, mustard and soy sauce was perfect, giving it a bit of a barbecue taste. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks for posting.
I liked this, hubby being a meat eater wasn`t too sure, although he did say he would eat it again when served. This is the first time I have tried this type of recipe, and will make it again, I might even add some curry spices for a variation. Hubby felt there should be a sauce with it, any suggestions out there?
I made this for dinner tonight with mashed potatoes and corn. The taste was really good. However, my meatloaf was much dryer than the others indicate theirs was. The only thing I can think of is that I drained the tofu (which it didn't say to do) just out of habit. Next time, I will make it with undrained tofu. The taste, the texture, everything was right on and it was very good.