1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Crock Pot Unbeef Stew
6 hrs 20 mins
ajena's kitchen's Note:
One of the things I loved to eat before becoming vegetarian, was beef stew. While this stew is no longer made with beef, the carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, and tomato cook in a thick brown gravy. There are many variations of this recipe on the internet, this one was found on Nikibone.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons soy margarine
- 3 -5 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with water until no longer lumpy
- 1Wrap and freeze the tofu and then let it thaw out completely. Drain the water from the tofu, and cut into slices. Press out any remaining water. Cut the slices into chunks and bake at 200°F on an ungreased cookie sheet while chopping the rest of the ingredients; check the tofu about every 10 to 15 minutes so that it doesn't get browned--it should just be dried out, not burned. The tofu should be well dried out, like croutons.
- 2Place all of the prepared ingredients into a crockpot, stir well, and cook on high for at least 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally. The stew is ready when it is thick and brown, and the vegetables are fork tender.
- 3To press water from tofu:.
- 4Place tofu block between two dinner plates. Place a heavy object, such as a cast iron pan, on top of the plates and wait for 15 minutes or so. Drain water from plates. Flip tofu block over and replace the plates. Place the cast iron pot on top on the plates once again. Drain for 15 minutes more. Discard water. Tofu is now ready to use, or can be placed in a plastic bag. Once bagged, place in the fridge until needed.
- 5I usually press and drain the tofu when purchased, storing it in a plastic bag in the fridge so it will be ready to use when needed.
- 6(Preparation time given above does not include pressing tofu).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Crock Pot Unbeef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.1
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 661.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan worcestershire sauce