Vegetarian Crock Pot Split Pea Soup
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried split peas, rinsed and cleaned
- water (see below)
- 1 cup regular uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat fry pan and add oil, then onion, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Saute vegetables until soft.
- Add sauteed vegetables to 6-quart crock pot.
- Then add split peas and enough water to half full capacity.
- Cover and cook on high for four hours until peas are tender.
- Stir in rice and recover. Cook rice for another two hours until rice is tender. Add additional water if necessary to keep it at about half full capacity.
- Before serving, add pepper and margarine and stir until melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an attorney and have been married 25 years. I enjoy cooking and creating good meals, but on weekends only! My favorite cookbook is the Jane Brody Good Food Book, but having said that, I usually find something that I love in most cookbooks! My current passion is adopting favorite recipes and making them healthy and yummy (or just finding great recipes that promote good health!).