Crock Pot Split Pea Soup (Lower-Fat)
photo by sho enough
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 2 cups fully-cook cubed ham
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups very hot chicken broth
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3 - 1⁄2 cup hot milk (optional and to be added in at the end of cooking)
- Pick out and discard any discolored split peas then rinse thoroughly in a colander under cold water then spread into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer the next 10 ingredients over the peas as stated starting with the ham and lastly the boiling water (do not add in the cream and DO NOT STIR!).
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting for about 4-5 hours or until veggies are tender.
- OPTIONAL at the end of cooking stir in hot milk then discard the bay leaf.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is sooo good....best split-pea soup I have ever made! The only thing I did differently was to add 4 links of Aidell's Chicken Sausage in place of the ham (Bacon & pineapple flavor, from Costco) It tastes just like honey-baked ham! Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly, omitting the milk and chili flakes! It was perfect, needed no extra seasonings! Thank you so much, Kittencal, for posting such an easy and yummy recipe! I will make this regularly