Light Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup (Lower Fat)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (1/2 Tbls)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup light butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 quart fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat parmesan cheese, cheese topping
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounces broccoli florets, prepared
- 3 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 6 ounces farfelle bow tie pasta, cooked according to package directions
- In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add light butter and 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes until bubbly. Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour to a small amount of chicken broth and stir to remove lumps. Gradually whisk in flour and broth combo, plus remaining chicken broth and half & half; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli (I use the steamer bag in the microwave) or cook broccoli in a separate pan with 2 cups of water just until form and not soft. Remove from heat and do not drain cooking water from broccoli.
- Add Parmesan cheese topping to soup-base in stockpot; cook over low heat, stirring, just until cheese is melted; add steamed broccoli and 2 cups of water (or cooked broccoli along with its cooking water), chicken, seasonings, and bow tie pasta to the stockpot; heat through.
Join The Conversation
Pretty good,fat free half and half seemed to work quite well but I used regular Parmesan I grated. I used about half the chicken cooked in a bit of broth and 12 oz. bag of steam in the bag broccoli which I chopped after and the amounts were plenty. I used ditalini pasta and added some Better than Bouillon so I omitted the salt, couple shakes of crushed red pepper and Mrs. Dash with the nutmeg and black pepper is what I had and bit of Worcester sauce. Didn't add the 2 cups of water though I might need to add some broth when reheating. Had some mushrooms I planned to add but forgot. Maybe next time.