Italian Lentil and Barley Soup
This is a surprisingly filling, vegetarian, crock pot soup. It is very good, and easy to prepare the night before, or chop the veggies in advance and turn it on before you leave for work in the morning. Goes great with a crusty bread.
- Ready In:
- 13hrs 15mins
- 1 cup lentils
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1⁄2 cups broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 14 1⁄4 14 1/4 ounces regular stewed tomatoes or 14 1/4 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (optional)
- Sort through lentils to remove debris and shriveled beans, then rinse.
- Add lentils to crock pot, along with barley, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, dried herbs and bay leaf.
- Pour in broth, water, and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 12 to 14 hours, or on high heat for 5 to 6 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and just before serving stir in parsley and vinegar. (If you don't use the vinegar, the soup might taste more bland as you're omitting a major contributor of flavor.).
- Lentils aren't like dried beans. They don't require soaking and cook pretty quickly when you do it right.
- When you buy your lentils, go somewhere that has a decent turnover so your lentils haven't been sitting on the shelf for years. Also, don't add any additional salt to the soup while it is cooking, and don't add lentils to already boiling water as either one can make lentils tough.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
A delicious, thick, and hearty soup! Please heed the advice about using fresh lentils. I didn't in an effort to use up some in my pantry. Bad decision! The lentils were dry and crumbly when cooked. Even with my mistake we loved the soup. Bad texture (and that's on me, not the recipe) but great flavor. I used beef broth and added salt to taste before serving. I will be making this again, either with FRESH lentils, or possibly a can of black beans instead.1Reply
I really liked this recipe. I cooked it over night and made the following changes: <br/>- I didn't have broth, so I added 6 cups of water and 4 bouillon cubes (the tiny ones)<br/>- I only had quick barley in the house, so I added 1/3 cup once I woke up and waited about 30 minutes. It cooked perfectly<br/>- I added 2 bay leafs instead of oneReply
see 105 more