Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Considering that the main ingredient in traditional Brunswick stew is meat, this vegetarian version is amazingly good. This would probably adapt well to the crockpot, too.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter beans, canned or frozen
- 1 cup green peas, canned or frozen
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups broth (I like to use half chicken-style, half beef-style)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for at leat 1 hour. Add water as necessary if it gets too thick.
This was really good! I used navy beans instead of butter beans because that's what I had on hand. I also omitted the Worcestershire sauce. We enjoyed this with crusty french bread. Thanks for posting!