Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found in a torn out recipe from a magazine but I don't know which one now. I love the flavors of this side dish and have tweaked it based on what veggie is fresh or in season. In place of the asparagus I have used snow peas or just used more zucchini and carrots if I could not find nice asparagus.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, low-fat, low sodium, no MSG
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked long grain
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup zucchini, julienned
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh ground pepper
- Pour broth into a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrot; saute for 3-5 minutes longer or until they are crisp tender. Add asparagus and basil, cook; uncovered over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender.
- In a serving bowl, combine the rice, veggie mixture, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
This is a side dish that can go with anything! Or even be a meal in itself....loaded with wonderful flavors and colors. I loved that you could taste each vegetables individual flavor because they weren't overshadowed by spices or soy sauce. Delicious! Made for Photo Tag. Thanks for sharing!
Made this last night for dinner...wonderful. I cut the recipe in half and instead of cooking fresh rice I used some we had in the fridge (warmed it up) and then I followed the rest of the instructions. I did have to add a little broth but probably because I used rice that was already cooked instead of fresh. Anyway it was quite tasty. DH did add soy but he almost always does and the leftovers made for a wonderful snack for my breakfast. Made for New Kids on the Block tag game.