My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 veal cutlets, thin,about 2 1/2 ounces each
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1Cover work surface with plastic wrap.
- 2Space cutlets evenly on the plastic, leaving a 3-inch space between each cutlet.
- 3Cover with another piece of plastic.
- 4pound the cutlets to 1/8-inch thickness.
- 5Lightly season on both sides with salt& pepper.
- 6Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- 7Place the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- 8Beat the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl.
- 9Dredge the flattened veal chops in flour and shake off excess.
- 10Dip in the egg wash, and then coat both sides with the breadcrumbs.
- 11Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 12Saute the veal until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- 13Remove from the skillet and place on a plate.
- 14Add the bacon to the pan and fry in the remaining fat.
- 15Remove from the pan.
- 16Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- 17Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 18Add the wine, and cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan over high heat for 2 minutes.
- 19Add the tomatoes and the puree, the basil, parsley, oregano, and dried red pepper flakes.
- 20Bring the sauce to a boil.
- 21Reduce heat to medium and add the cooked bacon.
- 22Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 23Arrange the cooked veal cutlets on top of the sauce, spooning sauce over each one.
- 24Top each cutlet with a sprinkling of Parmesan, then with a slice of mozzarella.
- 25Lower the heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until the veal is tender and the cheese melts, 5-6 minutes .
- 26Serve immediately, 2 cutlets person, with noodles.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.2
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 114.9 mg
- Sodium 718.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: