Recipe by Food_Lush
This is a traditional Aussie slice. There are even national competitions to find out who can make the bset slice.
Top Review by corey
Great Recipe - Big Vanilla Slice Fan, and this recipe delivers. Need to cool custard before pouring on base, and need more butter, and milk/water to make icing - but very pleasing result, and very good reviews. I would also suggest doubling the custard ingredients to get a nice thick 3-4cm deep custard in a 20cmx20cm tray.. Thanks!!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup custard powder
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup passion fruit pulp
- 25 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 210 deg celcius.
- Line oven trays with baking paper and place one pastry sheet on each tray.
- Prick with a fork and bake 10-15 mins Combine custard powder, sugar and cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Gradually add milk, stirring continuously until thick.
- Add vanilla.
- Cut cooked pastry to size of a brownie pan.
- Layer pastry-custard-pastry in tray.
- Make icing by combining butter, passionfruit and icing sugar over simmering water and mix until smooth.
- Pour over top of slice.