Passionfruit Vanilla Slice
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
An Australian tradition. Actually I don't know where it comes but it's served in every school tuckshop (canteen) and bakery in the land. This is always popular and is my husbands favourite.
- Ready In:
- 2 sheets prepared puff pastry
- 1⁄4 cup custard powder
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup passion fruit pulp
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Line 2 oven trays with baking paper and place one pastry sheet on each tray.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make the custard by mixing the custard powder, sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time on a medium heat until the custard boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the essence.
- Put a bit of baking paper or cling wrap on the surface so it doesn't get a skin and cool completely.
- Make the icing by combining the passionfruit, butter and icing sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- Stand over a pan of simmering water and stir until the icing is smooth and remove it from the heat.
- Place one sheet of pastry into a baking tin of the same size.
- You can cut the pastry to fit if needed.
- Spread evenly with the custard.
- Turn the other pastry sheet upside down and place on top of custard.
- Spread the icing evenly over the top.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- The pastry will soften slightly and the custard should be firm.
- Cut into squares to serve using a serrated knife.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION