Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a good basic recipe. I have found that when I've tried Splenda for Baking there is a bitter aftertaste. So, I thought, hmmm, why don't I stir it in at the end? Voila!
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular (or equivalent)
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, stir together milk and cornstarch; continue stirring until mixture thickens and begins to boil (don't stop stirring for too long or cornstarch will cake on bottom of pot).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir 2 large spoonfuls into egg and stir to temper egg; add egg to milk mixture, return to heat and stir until egg is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Stir in Splenda; use more to taste.
- Chill until serving.
Nice flavor and so easy to make from scratch, the commercial pudding mixes contain way too much sodium. Think it would be fun to vary this by using rum or almond flavoring but just great as is.