Recipe by threeovens
This is a good basic recipe. I have found that when I've tried Splenda for Baking there is a bitter aftertaste. So, I thought, hmmm, why don't I stir it in at the end? Voila!
Top Review by Sophia B.
Good flavor and texture. I made the recipe using the optional potatoes starch. Start to finish this took about 10 minutes. The one thing I changed was I put in half the splenda, then tasted it before adding more. I was glad i did--it was very sweet! I left it with just half the splenda amount. I would suggest doing the same and tasting it with just half the slenda amount before putting the rest in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular (or equivalent)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, stir together milk and cornstarch; continue stirring until mixture thickens and begins to boil (don't stop stirring for too long or cornstarch will cake on bottom of pot).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir 2 large spoonfuls into egg and stir to temper egg; add egg to milk mixture, return to heat and stir until egg is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Stir in Splenda; use more to taste.
- Chill until serving.