Vanilla Pudding (reduced Fat)
photo by Chris from Kansas
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan.
- Combine milk and egg in a bowl.
- Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook for one additional minute after bubbling starts, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm, or place plastic wrap on surface; cool to room temperature.
- Chill thoroughly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had a craving for vanilla pudding but didn't want all the fat and calories, so I'm glad I found this recipe. I reduced the calories even further by using egg substitute and Splenda. I took the advice of another reviewer and microwaved the pudding on high, stirring every couple of minutes until the mixture thickened. I made a pie using a graham cracker crust and layering the pudding with sliced bananas. This will be made again and again--thanks for posting!
see 19 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the Kansas City area and have many hobbies including cooking, reading and spending time with my husband and two children who are very active in sports now. I also have an eBay business which is a fun hobby that makes a little extra money! My interest in cooking focuses on making healthy dishes that are more satisfying than the higher fat and higher sugar versions. If I had a month off with no responsibilities, I would spend it at a luxury spa. <br /> <br /></p>