Top Review by 19Linda52
What a great base recipe!!! After the first batch which was very nice but a bit sweet and salty for us we tried 1/2 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. We also tried two whole eggs to cut down on food waste. This version was as delicious as the first and we liked not wasting anything as we did not need the meringue. Many thanks for great portions and a very easy recipe both to make and to alter. And thats what makes cooking such fun!!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium double boiler, cook sugar, cornstarch, milk and salt. When mixture begins to thicken, add part of mixture to egg yolks; mix well, then pour egg mixture back into mixture in double boiler.
- Cook until thick; take off stove, then add butter and vanilla.
- You can use as pudding and top with Cool Whip or use pudding with bananas for banana pudding You can also add 2 unsweetened chocolate squares at the beginning and make a chocolate pie or pudding.
- For butterscotch pie or pudding, use 3/4 cup light brown sugar firmly packed and 1/4 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup sugar, then cook as directed.
- You can also make a banana plate pie with the vanilla mixture, just cook as directed.
- In baked pie shell, line bottom with bananas; pour a layer of pudding, then a layer of ba nanas, then pudding.
- You can top with Cool Whip or meringue.