Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In medium double boiler, cook sugar, cornstarch, milk and salt. When mixture begins to thicken, add part of mixture to egg yolks; mix well, then pour egg mixture back into mixture in double boiler.
- Cook until thick; take off stove, then add butter and vanilla.
- You can use as pudding and top with Cool Whip or use pudding with bananas for banana pudding You can also add 2 unsweetened chocolate squares at the beginning and make a chocolate pie or pudding.
- For butterscotch pie or pudding, use 3/4 cup light brown sugar firmly packed and 1/4 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup sugar, then cook as directed.
- You can also make a banana plate pie with the vanilla mixture, just cook as directed.
- In baked pie shell, line bottom with bananas; pour a layer of pudding, then a layer of ba nanas, then pudding.
- You can top with Cool Whip or meringue.
This was excellent pudding. I don't have a dbl boiler, but constant stirring over medium heat was fine. If I made it again, I would leave out or reduce salt and reduce sugar to 1/2 cup. It was a bit sweet and I could taste the salt. My personal preferences, so I still gave 5 stars. The pudding is creamy and smooth. I used it to fill my cream puffs and they were excellent!
Superb! Took other reviewers advice and reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup and egg yolks to 2. I also used 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. I didn't use a double boiler either. So, so good! And super easy. Can't believe I've never made homemade pudding before. Thanks for sharing.
Super-dooper pudding. I mix the sugar (1/3 cup) with the salt and cornstarch till blended. Then add a little of the milk to make a smooth mixture. Proceed with the rest of the milk, and stir with a spatula to cover more area while stirring. After the mixture thickens, temper the egg yolks with a little of the hot milk mixture. Add tempered yolks back into the pot, Stir like crazy, letting the pudding boil for at least a minute to cook the eats and prevent it from breaking down. Enjoy. Thanks for a great pudding recipe :)