Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
A great choice when not everyone cares for the more traditional banana or coconut cream pies.
Top Review by atlfitgirl
I could not resist making this pie after I saw the beautiful picture... Add the fact that I love *anything* vanilla, and well, I am in heaven!!! I used Recipe #116887 for the crust and since I did not have a pie pan, used a 9 in glass pan. I love, love, love sweetened condensed milk ( I have been known to lick the can...lol) and this pie was just perfect for me. I made it in the microwave in my 4c pyrex cup... so easy to mix it all up and only one cup to clean! I cooked it on HIGH on 2 min increments, whipping after each, for a total of 6 or 8 minutes... My BF loves chocolate cream pie using this recipe but adding cocoa powder... but my favorite has to be the vanilla version. I also chose to serve it with whipped cream... So sweet, milky, and delicious! Thanks for posting!!!
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts (pastry or graham cracker)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks.
- Cook until thick in saucepan or microwave. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Add vanilla.
- Cool slightly (stirring occasionally). Pour into prepared pie crust.
- To prepare meringue: Beat 3 egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla. Gradually add 6 Tbsp sugar till soft peaks form, spread on top of pie. Bake in moderate oven 350 degree F 12 to 15 minutes.
- Or top chilled pie with whipped cream.