Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Full of nutritious goodies, kids and health-nuts love them! Great for breakfast on the go! Easily veganized and full of fiber. I think raisins would also be a nice addition, but they are not part of this recipe. It really helps if you have a food processor to grate the carrots and apples, but it's not necessary.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 eggs (or 2 Ener-G egg replacers)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) container applesauce
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup apple, grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- water or milk (to bind ingredients) or soymilk (to bind ingredients)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tin(s).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients .
- In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs (or egg replacers), maple syrup, oil, and apple sauce.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix well. If the mixture is too dry, add enough milk, soymilk, or water to get everything to bind.
- Mix in carrots, apples, walnuts, and coconut.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Although these were far from being an attractive muffin they were tasty ( a little on the heavy side). I upped the spices slightly as suggested from another reviewer. I'd make these again but I think the recipe needs some tweeking. Reviewed for Spring PAC.
The only changes I made to the recipe was to omit the nuts and to replace the grated apple with additional applesauce. The batter did not need any additional liquid to bind. The texture was spot-on. These don't have a lot of taste on their own. I think the amount of spice needs to be doubled. That, increase the amount of maple syrup. Something. I think this recipe is definitely worth playing with.