Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this at another web site. I made changes to make it less spicy, more flavorful and more "Tuscan". My husband loves this so much he reheats it for breakfast! Some crusty bread and a glass Italian red wine, " Mama Mia " what a meal!
- 5 links sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained (Italian white kidney beans, you can use red)
- 1 bag Baby Spinach, chopped (found in the produce section with the ready to mix salad greens)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage skin, add sausage meat and onions to a 6 quart sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, breaking up the sausage, until no longer pink.
- Add broth, potato, garlic and basil.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender.
- Add cannelini beans and spinach, cook until spinach is wilted.
- Add cream, salt and pepper, cook another minute or 2 until heated through.
- Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
This made a lovely and delicious soup. The only change was I used 3 cloves of garlic. We loved the flavor of the sweet Italian sausage. This made a nice, hearty, easy mid-week meal. I served it with Italian bread and a glass of merlot. Thanks Lorac :D
Our family loves this soup! I slice the potatoes rather than cube, double the spices, add an extra 2 cups of broth, about 1/8 - 1/4 cup bacon bits (sounds disgusting I know, but it really makes it) and we sometimes leave out the cream. SO yummy!
Delightfully rich and delicious! I made this exactly as posted and couldn't have enjoyed it more.