Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a quicker version of the traditional famous Ribollita soup from Tuscany. I found this recipe in this months Morrisons magazine!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pinch crushed dried chili
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, washed
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded & chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250 g savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 400 g tinned cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 slices bread (baguette style)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled to serve
- Heat the oilin a large saucepan. Fry the onion over a low heat for 5-6 minutes. add the chillies & sliced garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree & thyme, cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, carrots & cabbage. Pour in the stock & bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover & simmer forr 20-30 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans & simmer for a few more minutes. Rub each slice of bread with the garlic clove, drizzle with olive oil & put one in each bowl.
- Pour the soup over the bread & serve.
The whole apartment smelled marvelous while I was making this soup! It truly does have a wonderfully Tuscan aroma and taste. I reduced the olive oil, subbed canned tomatoes for fresh, and had some red cabbage in the refrigerater so I used that up. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today. Also, I just got an e-mail from my BF who said we should have this soup again! Well, then, so we shall!!! Very much recommended! Thanks Rezika!