1/1 Photo of Turmeric Rice by Madhur Jaffrey
Frugal Fifer's Note:
This simple, yet tasty rice dish is from a book I got in a sale a long time ago. I liked this dish as it used things I had to hand and had a similar taste to rice in a local curry house. The flavour is delicate and not in the least overpowering so will go well with most dishes. I have used leftovers in a stir fry and it was just as good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the rice in a bowl and wash in several changes of water.
- 2Drain and leave in a strainer set over a bowl.
- 3Put the oil in a heavy based saucepan and set over a medium high heat. When the oil is hot and beginning to bubble, put in the cloves, bay leaf, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Stir once or twice and put in the garlic.
- 4As soon as the garlic turns medium brown put in the rice, turmeric and salt. Stir gently for a minute. Now add the water and bring to the boil. Cover tightly, turn the heat down to very, very low and cook for 20 minutes. Stir the rice with a fork to separate the grains and serve garnished with chives or spring onions.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turmeric Rice by Madhur Jaffrey
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 587.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: