Recipe by Hollymedic
This is a hearty, healthy soup that I eat almost every day.
Top Review by Hissy Hussy
Delicious! I halved the recipe using the leftover drumsticks from the Thanksgiving turkey and it was a lot of soup. The rice really does thicken this up if you use the max amt in the recipe. I left out the hot pepper and added peas.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey breast, skin on or off
- 3 turkey drumsticks, skin on or off
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 cup brown rice, depending on how thick you want the soup
- 2 (14 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes, can also use stewed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 waxy hungarian pepper, chopped (or a hotter pepper, if you like hot)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast turkey in 375 Degree F oven for approximately 75 minute When finished take turkey, place in large stew pot and add 12 c water. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce and simmer on medium low for 90 minute This is your stock. Once it is finished, take the turkey out and let cool. Separate from bone. Add vegetables, rice, cans of tomatoes and chicken broth and the turkey meat back into the soup. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minute Salt and pepper to taste.