Just in time for those Thanksgiving leftovers. I made the cranberry sauce yesterday and the candied bacon this morning. Hopefully, you’ll have some cranberry sauce left.
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 slices center-cut bacon
- 12 ounces turkey breast, slices
- 4 slices havarti cheese
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup poblano pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 4 French rolls, split
- mayonnaise (optional)
- Make cranberry sauce (or use leftover) as follows:.
- Mix cranberries, sugar, orange juice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; simmer until berries pop. Chill until ready to use.
- Make candied bacon:.
- Preheat oven to 400*. Mix brown sugar and chili powder. Coat each slice of bacon on both sides with sugar mixture. Place bacon on a cookie sheet with sides and bake 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- Saute onions, poblano, and red bell pepper in olive oil.
- Spread rolls with mayo (if using). Spread cranberry sauce over mayo. Top with basil, turkey, sauteed veggies, bacon, and cheese.
- Cook on preheated panini grill until hot and cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes. Serve with additional cranberry sauce on the side.
We liked this sandwich and made it twice. It was a great use of leftover turkey & cranberry sauce after Thanksgiving. All of the parts of the sandwich meld together into a delicious combination, but the candied bacon takes it over the top! I'll be making it for other sandwiches so this is a winner of a recipe for me. Thanks chef & good luck!
Delicious! We chose this recipe because I have a rule about trying new techniques or flavors during contests and candied bacon is something that really sounded interesting... even though I won't eat my breakfast bacon if it even touches the pancake syrup! :) We were definitely not disappointed, as the candied bacon was amazing! My mom, DD, DH & I all loved these sandwiches, but the biggest compliment has to be from DH, who doesn't eat cheese, and doesn't like basil or turkey. He said that this was his new favorite sandwich and proceeded to eat the 4th sammy that we had made for our 18 yr old DS, just in case he was hungry when he came home late that night! LOL This recipe was by far one of the best sandwiches we've had in a long, long time. The creative use of contest ingredients was impressive and the well-written instructions were easy to follow. We used the George Foreman grill instead of the Panini press (which I HATE to clean), but the results were the same. Thanks for sharing your entry and good luck in the contest, you've got 6 thumbs up from us! Made & enjoyed for the Fall 2011 Category Craze-E contest.
Totally awesome and so original. I really loved the bit of heat on the candied bacon and thought all the ingredients complemented each other so well. So well-thought-out and a recipe I'll make for a long time to come. Also, kudos for the very clear instructions. Best of luck!