Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Very tasty meatloaf using ground turkey. From the Oct 2010 issue of Everyday Food magazine. I wanted to add it to my cookbook here so I am re-posting.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook bacon, stirring until almost crisp (4 min). Add onion and bell pepper, season to taste with salt and pepper and cook additional 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl & add oats and evaporated milk.
- Let cool.
- Add turkey, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 2 TBSP chili sauce (or ketchup) and still well to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 5x9 loaf pan and smooth top.
- Spread remaining sauce (ketchup) over top.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minute until instant read thermometer reads 165.
- Let cool in pan 10 min before slicing.
This was one of the most flavorful turkey meatloaves I ever made. I did modify a little bit and only used 4 strips of turkey bacon. My husband loves beef, but he raved about this.
I've been trying for years to make a meatloaf I would cook again. Well, this is it. Moist, very flavorful, firm, not fatty, and the cooked turkey bacon is a great addition. I made it per recipe.