Chicken With Artichokes
I found this recipe in the November issue of 'Everyday Food'. My DH gave it 2-thumbs-up after the first bite. I chose not to make the coucous so I added the scallion greens to the recipe (see 'optional' note). This is the original recipe which serves one but I doubled the ingredients (and used 3 chicken breasts) and it was delicious.
- Ready In:
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, separated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 scallions, sliced thin, separated (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup artichoke heart, packed in water
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained, and slivered
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- With the flat side of a meat mallet or a small skillet, pound to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- In a medium skillet, heat 3 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- Saute' until golden brown and cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan.
- To pan, add garlic, white part of the scallions and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and remaining teaspoon of oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until artichokes are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Spoon over chicken.
- You can serve this along-side coucous.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to boil; add coucous.
- Boil until coucous is tender but still pleasantly chewy, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, toss with scallion greens, and serve along side chicken, if desired.
- NOTE: If you chose not to make the coucous add the scallion green at the same time you add the whites.