Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original recipe for this came from Joan Lunden's Healthy Cooking. I've changed a couple things to our tastes. This is a very moist,delicious meat loaf. Its my favorite. I leave the topping off as my family doesn't care for it.
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped (or 1/2 red bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place oatmeal, milk and turkey in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add egg white, onion, garlic, bell pepper ( I use both kinds), ketchup, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Place mixture in a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Press into pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- While it is baking, mix topping.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven after 40 minutes.
- Drain off some of the liquid that has accumulated. You can save it to use as a gravy if you wish.
- Spread topping over the meatloaf. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until done.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
We enjoyed this, but the topping was a little much for us - I'd love to make this again and top with a turkey/brown gravy! Thank you for the easy recipe! I would like to say that I didn't have the full amount of turkey and replaced 1/4lb of it with some extra oatmeal and it worked out beautifully. :) Thanks
This makes a tasty and easy to slice meatloaf. I did use 1 whole egg and reduced the brown sugar to 2 tablespoons.
Wish I would've sen the reviews first to add more oatmeal to my 1lb of ground turkey---but it still turned out pretty good. I also added a little (teaspoon or 2) of soy sauce and asian mustard to the topping...made for a little asian flare. Overall I will definitely try this recipe again!