Lemon Glazed Pound Cake
I found this recipe on another recipe site. I've changed a few things to suit our tastes. This cake tastes wonderful, but if you can let it set for a day, the lemon flavor really comes out!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar (divided)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup grated lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup plus 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (divided)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 2 cups of the sugar until light and fluffy. about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with 1/2 cup of the lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When cake is done, let cool for 10 minutes and remove from the pan.
- Poke holes in the cake with a large fork, and pour the lemon syrup over the top. Let cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the powered sugar and remaining lemon juice, about 3 1/2 tablespoons. Pour over the top of the cooled cake and allow to drizzle down the sides.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this pound cake today! It was heavy, putting it into the bunt pan, but beautiful when I plated it! I made a lemon glaze, which my son loved. I did. not take a pic, but will the next time. I liked reading tweaks that others made, and will try the lemon, orange idea for a glaze or the limoncello addition. Very great recipe!! ????????1Replies 1
I use this recipe again and again, the only substitution I have made is 1. using lime peel and juice 2. using a lemon-lime combo peel and juice or 3. using orange peel and juice. This is the closest recipe I have found to the one my mother used to make except she always made pound cake in a loaf tin. A tube tin makes it far better.2Replies 1
see 6 more