Recipe by Divinemom5
This is a good way to use up leftover holiday turkey.I serve them with green chili rice timbales and seafood stuffed jalapeños on New Year's Eve.
- 3 sweet red peppers
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 4 cups finely chopped cooked turkey
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 20 corn tortillas (6 inch diameter)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- First roast peppers: Cut each in half lengthwise, remove membranes and seeds.
- Place skin side up on baking sheet, flatten with hand.
- Broil about 3 inches from heat 12-15 minutes or until skin is evenly blackened.
- Immediately seal peppers in a plastic bag and allow to steam 10-15 minutes.
- Remove charred skin and cut into strips.
- In large saucepan, sauté 1/2 cup onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in pepper strips, tomatoes, chicken broth and seasonings.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread 2/3 cup sauce in each of 2 greased 7x11 baking dishes.
- In bowl, combine remaining chopped onion, turkey and sour cream.
- Soften tortillas in microwave.
- Place 2 rounded tablespoons of turkey and 2 rounded tablespoons of cheese on each tortilla.
- Roll and place in baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until heated through.