Creamy Turkey Enchiladas
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, and tops finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups diced turkey or 3 cups chicken
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons whipping cream
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large skillet, add margarine and saute onions, then add garlic powder, seasoned salt,chili powder, green chilies, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cream cheese, heat and stir just till cream cheese melts.
- Add diced turkey or chicken,.
- Spread out 8 tortillas and spoon about 3 heaping tablespoons of turkey-cream cheese mixture on each tortilla. Use all turkey mixture.
- Roll up tortillas and place seam-side down in lightly greased 11x15 baking dish.
- Pour whipping cream over enchiladas and sprinkle cheese over enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or till cream and cheese are bubbly, but not brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
No recipe is sacred with me. Even though I added things and skipped others, this enchilada recipe was an excellent omlette topped with salsa verde and sour cream. The squeeze of lime really made it. Yum!.....OK....I omitted the green onions, opted for jack cheese instead of cheddar, used a regular jalepeno minus the seeds, skipped the cumin, and don't forget that squeeze of lime. I will garnish with cilantro next time, and there will be a next time. I might even experiment with a tiny bit of tequila; in the enchilada, not me.
Pretty much followed the list of ingredients, but I did use shredded chicken breast that I had in the freezer for just such dishes! Also cut the recipe in half for two meals for the 2 of us & that also cut those not-so-great nutrition elements down quite a bit without messing with the great taste of these wonderful enchiladas! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
First, this is sinfully rich and delicious! I halved the recipe. I have learned that my onions seem to be larger than the average onion, so I only used a little less than 1/4 of an onion. I did use 2 green onions, because I love them. Had no green chiles, but I had fresh peppers from my back yard, so I sauteed those with the onions. I used a serrano, a hot banana pepper, and a cayenne pepper. I don't use seasoning salt, so I made a mix of my own. I used no fat cream cheese to cut some of the fat content. I used smoked chicken to fill the tortillas, and it was wonderful. I used less of the cheese than called for and used 2% instead of full fat cheese.....seemed to be way too much cheese, but the amount I chose turned out perfectly with the cream. I couldn't figure out what to do with the 1/4 tsp chili powder?....couldn't find it anywhere in the instructions. So I left it out. I served with some sliced avocado. I did put some salsa in a side dish, but found I preferred it without the tomato....just wanted to enjoy the creaminess. Thanks for sharing a really delicious recipe that I'll use again to make use of chicken/turkey leftovers. Made for 123 Tag.
A dreamy creamy cheesy delight.<br/>I do admit to having to lower the calorie/fat content though. I used extra light flour tortillas, extra light Philadelphia cream cheese, and Philadelphia light cooking cream.<br/>I also cut back on the cheese, and used a mixture of Colby and low fat cheddar.<br/>We really enjoyed this..the smooth creamy cheese works so well with the heat of the chillies...<br/>Thanks for a great dinner!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello everyone, My name is Doug and I am the host of I recommend tag.I am in my early 40's, I am married, with two children. Michael 14, and katherine 10 . I started to learn to cook, after I got married, when my wife started working nights, and I couldn't get around because I had my entire left leg rebuilt. I just completed remodeling my entire house, and am very active at volunteering at my childrens schools.<br />Rating System <br />5 stars- Outstanding (4 out 4 ) in family enjoyed. <br />4 stars - Very good (3 out of 4) in family enjoyed. Will make no adjustments. <br />3 stars - good, might consider an adjustment <br />2 stars- Okay- will make adjustment <br />1 star- debatable I will make again, would with right adjustment <br />0 stars - Will not attempt again.</p>