Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 cups medium noodles or 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (11 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (9 1/4 ounce) can tuna, drained and broken into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook noodles or macaroni according to pkg directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook celery and onion in butter or margarine till softened. Stir in soup and milk.
- Gently stir in tuna, pimiento and the cooked noodles or macaroni.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Extra-Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole: Prepare as above, but substitute 8 oz carton of sour cream or plain yogurt for the milk.
- Stir 1 to 2 tbsp of milk into mixture if needed to obtain desired consistency.
- Vegetable Tuna Noodle Casserole: Prepare as above and stir in 1 cup cooked vegetables with tuna.
I tried this tonight with sour cream and cheese soup. It was wonderfully creamy with a bit of an edge from the sour cream. Thanks
The cheese soup is something that I had never tried with tuna casserole before. I don't think I will ever make another tuna casserole without it! Very good!
Great base recipe! I'm sure that it would have been fine as is, but I tweeked it for tastes here: omitted pimiento and used a mix for cream soup (#125100). Also used ranch dressing in place of milk or sour cream, peas for additional veggy and included seasoned bread crumbs with the Parmesan. As I said, personal preference, but a great base to spring from!