Recipe by Manami
Ellie Krieger's dinner for four under $10.00. The Food Network chef offers up a healthy steak dish - "Healthy Appetite with Ellie Kirieger" airs Saturday's at 8:30 am on Food Network.;)
Top Review by wyt_fyr1
My entire family loved this. The juicy gravy was very good dipped in bread. My husband asked that the next time that I substitute some Tobassco sauce (not the entier 1/4 cup but a portion) for the red wine -- I may try that. Or I may add some red pepper flakes when I add the garlic.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs london broil beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, thinly sliced
- 5 large assorted bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
- 1 large onion, sliced into half moons
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer meat with its juice to a plate (keep warm.).
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers (cut into strips) and onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the peppers are softened and the onions are trasnlucent, about 5 minutes more.
- Return the beef and juices to the skillet and add the broth, wine, soy sauce and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook until the mixture thuickens, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over rice.