Crock Pot Pepper Steak
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef strips.
- Transfer beef to crock pot.
- Crush and mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then stir in cornstarch until dissolved.
- Pour into the crock pot with meat.
- Add red pepper flakes, onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.
- Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- ** If you would like to thicken the sauce for gravy, mix 1 TBS cornstarch with some water and stir into crock pot 1/2 hour before complete cooking time.
Oh Bev, I was surprised how delicious this was ~ DD even had 2nds, and she is picky-picky. But she (and we) loved the tender flavorful beef, and the seasoning level was just right and served it over wild and brown rice. Thanks for a new recipe for the keeper cookbook. Made for Potluck Tag, Jan 2009.
This is a wonderful meal for a weeknight or anytime. I cooked it overnight, refrigerated and then reheated. It was served for a small gathering of friends and everyone really enjoyed. The bouillon added enough sodium for my taste so I omitted the additional salt. There was no need to add additional cornstarch as the broth was thick and rich. This will be a repeat.
This was surprisingly tasty! With such few ingredients I was amazed at the outcome. Steak was nice and tender and actually reminded me of something my mom through together as a kid. OMG, brought back wonderful memories. I think Mom called it "Swiss Bliss"... It is delish. Thanks for sharing a great crockpot recipe. I will definitely make this again. Was wonderful. ~V
see 10 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.