Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Don't be scared by the amount of Tabasco sauce. This soup is hot, but not insanely so.
Make and share this Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs stew meat (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 5 ounces Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 10 1⁄2 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 4 tortillas, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Saute the first 5 ingredients in a large kettle.
- Add remaining ingredients, except tortillas and cheese, and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Add tortillas and cook 10 minutes.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
I did add the beef to this, and I'm so glad I did. I think it really added to the soup. This was a little "tomatoey" for me, next time I'll add some black beans I think. I used corn tortillas. I used a really large jalapeno, and the tobasco.....it wasn't too hot for me. Thanks for sharing!