Recipe by PickledSeeds
This is a good dish to go with a Mexican meal. It's also vegetarian so throw in some black beans and you've got a complete meal.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very good and very simple! I had to use basmati rice, but will make with long grain rice as well. It has good complementary flavours and truly could go with anything, we found it extremely tasty! Much enjoyed, thankyou! Made for PAC Spring 2009
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (or more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and rice and cook over medium heat until the onion is just softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, cumin, tomato and cook 1 minute more, stirring.
- Add stock, stirring to blend. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 30-40 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID DURING THIS TIME.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately.