Recipe by KristiJoy
I found this in a TOH Quick Cooking July/August 2004 issue and adapted it to our tastes. We really like it. It's good as an appetizer or paired with a sandwich or salad at lunchtime.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes or 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon an set aside. In the same pan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return mushroom mixture to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.