Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
What a creamy delicious soup. The garlic-herb cheese called for is a Boursin cheese, but I guess you could use a cream cheese for it. I doubt it would taste the same. I always use the fresh herbs for the bread, but you could use dried. Be sure to half the herbs if using dried instead of fresh.
For the Tomato Bisque
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups v- 8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (5 ounce) package garlic & herb spreadable cheese (Boursin)
- salt and pepper
- chopped chives (to garnish)
For the Garlic Croutons
- 1 loaf French baguette, diced medium
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- For the Tomato Bisque: In a large soup pot melt bacon fat, add onions and celery. Cook onions and celery until translucent, do not brown. Add tomatoes, basil and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato juice, V-8 juice, tomato paste, chicken stock and simmer 15 minutes. Add heavy cream and bring back to a boil. Turn off heat and add the tub of cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Garlic Croutons: In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Place the ingredients on a baking sheet and bake at 325°F until a golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Final Presentation: Place soup in bowl, add croutons in soup and garnish with chives.
This was very good! I love tomato-basil soup, and this is the first homemade version that has really met the standard set by a local restaraunt. I made a few changes. First, I added 2 pressed cloves of garlic, and doubled the amount of chopped basil. Second, I used canned tomatoes because fresh are not in season right now. Lastly, since I don't care for chunky soup, I used an immersion blender to puree the finished soup. It made a really nice, creamy puree which I enjoyed very much. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe. This will go into my must make again cookbook.
I really enjoyed this. It was pretty easy and didn't take long. I made some extra so I could freeze it and have it again. I didn't have enough heavy cream so I used about half heavy cream half 2% milk. I think the recipe is probably better with all cream. I might add some garlic next time as well. Thank you! Made for PRMR tag.
This was delicious; my family loved it. The only thing I would change is to add more basil - 2 TB of chopped fresh didn't go very far. I didn't make the croutons because I didn't have a baguette (served with biscuits instead). The soup was wonderful without them, but I've never made homemade croutons so I plan to try them soon and will update my review.