Recipe by LilPinkieJ
What a creamy delicious soup. The garlic-herb cheese called for is a Boursin cheese, but I guess you could use a cream cheese for it. I doubt it would taste the same. I always use the fresh herbs for the bread, but you could use dried. Be sure to half the herbs if using dried instead of fresh.
Top Review by IngridH
This was very good! I love tomato-basil soup, and this is the first homemade version that has really met the standard set by a local restaraunt. I made a few changes. First, I added 2 pressed cloves of garlic, and doubled the amount of chopped basil. Second, I used canned tomatoes because fresh are not in season right now. Lastly, since I don't care for chunky soup, I used an immersion blender to puree the finished soup. It made a really nice, creamy puree which I enjoyed very much. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe. This will go into my must make again cookbook.
For the Tomato Bisque
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups v- 8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (5 ounce) package garlic & herb spreadable cheese (Boursin)
- salt and pepper
- chopped chives (to garnish)
For the Garlic Croutons
- 1 loaf French baguette, diced medium
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Tomato Bisque: In a large soup pot melt bacon fat, add onions and celery. Cook onions and celery until translucent, do not brown. Add tomatoes, basil and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato juice, V-8 juice, tomato paste, chicken stock and simmer 15 minutes. Add heavy cream and bring back to a boil. Turn off heat and add the tub of cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Garlic Croutons: In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Place the ingredients on a baking sheet and bake at 325°F until a golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Final Presentation: Place soup in bowl, add croutons in soup and garnish with chives.