Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have adapted this recipe from one that I found on allrecipes.com by Nancy Olsen. It is so healthy, Weight Watcher friendly and tastes great. You can substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth if you want vegetarian.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- While they are cooking pour the barley into a dish with water to cover.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the barley and add to the pot.
- Reduce heat and cook at a low boil for about 45 minutes (until the barley is tender).
- Add more water or broth if it thickens too much.
We are big fans of barley soups and this is a very good barley soup. It was very filling and warming which was perfect for a cold almost summer's night in London. The only changes I made were to go for the vegetable stock because it was what I had and to skip the oil and use a cooking spray instead to lower the fat of the soup to next to nothing. Made for ZWT4.
This is a pretty good soup. The only thing I added was about a half pound of cooked lean ground beef and some kitchen bouquet for a more brown color. The only thing I wasn't real fond of was that it did have a bit of an acidic taste to it that I kept trying to correct...I wondered if it had a potato or two in it if the flavors would have been blended more. Made for ZWT #6 - 2010
Excellent soup. Low calorie and easy to prepare with on hand ingredients. I added a can of black beans as recommended by a previous reviewer.