Recipe by GaylaV
I have adapted this recipe from one that I found on allrecipes.com by Nancy Olsen. It is so healthy, Weight Watcher friendly and tastes great. You can substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth if you want vegetarian.
Top Review by Sarah_Jayne
We are big fans of barley soups and this is a very good barley soup. It was very filling and warming which was perfect for a cold almost summer's night in London. The only changes I made were to go for the vegetable stock because it was what I had and to skip the oil and use a cooking spray instead to lower the fat of the soup to next to nothing. Made for ZWT4.
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I like to give them a whirl in the food processor)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- While they are cooking pour the barley into a dish with water to cover.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the barley and add to the pot.
- Reduce heat and cook at a low boil for about 45 minutes (until the barley is tender).
- Add more water or broth if it thickens too much.