Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is the most delicious sandwich! All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste, and the herbed butter can be frozen if you have any leftover. I make this sandwich on my George Formean grill. This recipe makes 4 sandwiches. I use Velveeta cheese for this, I find it melts faster, but any thinly sliced cheddar will do.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutes!)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices bread (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese, sliced (I use Velveeta cheese for this)
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced smoked ham (or to taste)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl combine the softened butter, Dijon mustard, thyme, parsley and just a pinch salt; mix well until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Arrange 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and top with a slice of cheese.
- Then top with sliced ham, then tomato, then onions and remaining cheese.
- Top with a slice of bread.
- Butter the outside of 4 slices of bread with herbed butter (I like to lightly butter the inside also, but that is up to you).
- Heat a non-stick skillet with a bit of herbed or regular butter (if you buttered the outside of the bread, then you might not want to add in any butter to the skillet).
- Add in the sandwiches, and cook until cheese melts and the bread is golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side).
I thought this sandwich was ok,but my DH didnt care for the thyme at all in the butter..
Yummy mid-afternoon snack while engaing in something of a weekend cookathon! Scaled back to two sandwiches (for two), made with crusty ciabatta, and slices of swiss cheese. I used only about 1/2 tablespoon of the Dijon mustard (taste preference) and added some rosemary and sage to the thyme. All the ingredients blended beautifully to make a delightfully delicious toasted sandwich: certainly a gourmet version of a regular ham and cheese or cheese and tomato toasted sandwich. Thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe, KITTENCAL. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
Delicious!!!! I love the herb butter! I'm going to be using that for all of my sandwiches from now on, as well as steamed veggies. We had our sandwiches along with Wisconsin Cheese Soup for a wonderful lunch. Thank you Kitten, for another yummy recipe to add to my "Make often" file! Made for 1.2.3 Hits Tag