Recipe by Chef Petunia
While surfing Pinterest one day, I stumbled upon this recipe that sounded so good and comforting. The Gouda cheese puts this one over the top creamy and rich. Don't forget the nutmeg!!! I served this with homemade Bruschetta but a side salad would be perfect too.
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 ounces gouda cheese
- 1⁄2 onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 14 1⁄2 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Italian sausages
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb gemelli pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to boil. Add the pasta once it is boiling and cook until the pasta is just under al dente (slightly resistant still). Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- Shred all the cheeses and set aside. Begin to cook the sausage by heating a small skillet to medium heat & removing the meat from the casing. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the sausage for even cooking.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onion. Saute until translucent and very fragrant about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Mix in the flour, let it cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock & milk, continuously whisking. SLOWLY add the 3 cheeses to the mixture about a small handful at a time. Add the next bit once the previous is completely melted and creamy within the liquid. When all the cheese is added reduce the heat to low and stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, sausage, and cheese sauce.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and garnish with chopped parsley.