Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Reuben Burger recipe is from the Rachel Ray Show.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise then thinly sliced
- splash water
- 29.58 ml spicy mustard
- 453.59 g sack sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml ketchup
- 59.14 ml pickle relish
- 680.38 g ground pork or 680.38 g ground pork, and veal combined
- 4.92 ml dried marjoram
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 59.14 ml finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar or 29.58 ml white wine vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slice emmentaler swiss cheese, folded to fit burgers
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves (Red)
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat, add the butter and when melted add the onions and cook until soft and tender, 20 minutes. When done, add a splash of water and stir in the mustard.
- Add sauerkraut to a small pot and keep warm over low heat.
- Combine sour cream, ketchup and relish in a small bowl and reserve.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, spices, parsley, vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste. Form 4 patties, thinner at middle and thicker at edges for more even cooking and to prevent burgers from bulging at the middle. Heat the oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 5 minutes on each side. Melt the cheese over the patties the last 2 minutes of cooking, under foil tent.
- To serve, pile the onions on the bun bottoms and top with a leaf of lettuce, cheese wurst burger, sauerkraut, and the sour cream sauce. Cover with the tops of the buns and serve.