Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe goes back over 30 years, it's a basic recipe but produces a fabulous cornbread, you may add in some jalapeno peppers, cayenne, corn kernels or any extras you desire ---you will love this cornbread!
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
As usual Kitten's recipe so good, soft, fluffy texture and a hit with all my family and guests, I used honey instead of sugar and baked in a hot cast iron skillet. Couldn't ask for a better cornbread.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (divided)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter into cake pan then bake for 5 minutes or until the cake pan is very hot.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour the creamed corn, milk, remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and the egg into the well; stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the HOT cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and tests done.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.